Monday, August 30, 2010

Ceiling Fan Scare!

My generous parents offered to install ceiling fans in our house as an early birthday/anniversary/Christmas gift because our house gets so hot! It is a two story house with no overhead lights in any of the rooms, and the bedrooms are always a million degrees! My mom and I picked out fans and had them installed by a well-known local electrician who has done a lot of other work for us as well. It took him two full days to install the 5 fans. What a difference it makes! I think the babies were enjoying their nursery breeze almost as much as I did in my bedroom (poor Tony now has to sleep in an arctic... I like it cold when I sleep!) Two nights into enjoying our new, colder house Tony and I were woken up at 1130pm by a loud crash and thump. It sounded like someone broke in through a window or something. Once we were sure it was safe to go downstairs we walked downstairs to see this! Thank goodness and praise God this was not 3 hours earlier when the babies were in their excersaucers. I cannot let myself think what could have happened. It actually landed first right on their excersaucer and broke off toys. The electrician was shocked and very apologetic and came out immediately. He ordered a new fan and will install when it arrives. I'm just a little apprehensive to have the babies directly under the fans now!



2 comments:

Melissa said...

WOW, that is scary. Thank God no one was under it. I had the same thing happen to a flush mount light in my kitchen. It is scary.

I wonder if the electric box was strong enough to hold the fan. At least he is coming out to fix it.

What kind of fans are they?

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh! That's crazy. I'm not sure I'd trust that electrician to install it again. And I'd definitely make him buy you new excersaucers. Scary stuff!