Monday, May 3, 2010

The Two Week Storm

WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's about the only sound heard around my house these days. Tony and I decided to try the Costco/Kirkland brand formula last week to save money (it's almost half the cost). We knew there would be a slight adjustment period, but were not prepared for the disaster we witnessed. The kids instantly were cranky, gassy, and constipated. We decided to give it a week to see if they would adjust. Luckily my mom came into town a couple days after we switched. She was excited to see and play with the kids, but unfortunately was greeted with cranky kiddos. I don't know what I would have done without her! We each had a baby in our arms the entire time! We tried to go to the mall and run errands (which I usually do on my own with no problems), but the kids had their own agenda. We did spend one afternoon at the mall, but thank goodness Grammie was there as one kiddo always seemed to need to be held! I would have been humiliated by myself. I have taken them out a lot but have been so fortunate that they have not really cried in public yet... well until now.

By Friday it had been 6 days since switching formula and they seemed to be getting worse, so I decided to call the doctor before the weekend came. Laney had not pooped in over 3 days, so the doctor has us give her a suppository, which still hadn't done anything two hours later! So we headed to the doctor Friday early evening and guess who did her thing in the waiting room? Yep! Apparently all we needed was to be in the building with the doctor for her to go. The doctor decided to see us anyway since we were there and agreed that the "experiment" with formula should come to an end. Daddy ran back to Costco the next morning and exchanged the generic stuff for Enfamil cans. They have their mommy's expensive taste!

The new (well old actually) formula instantly took care of their constipation and the new crazy gassiness, however Laney continues to be a total mess. If she is awake she is screaming. Luckily she is sleeping about half of every 3 hour stretch in the day and most of the night. I bought a new book and laughed when I read the title of the second chapter "The Two Week Storm." It stated that all babies, no matter now perfect before, have some cholic and fussiness from weeks 6-8. So apparently this is mommy hell week(s). D-mo is back to his sweet self. I felt so bad he was just sitting and playing nicely by himself this morning while I had to hold and try to stop his screaming sister. I am hoping she goes back to her old self Wednesday when we hit 8 weeks and that this is not the beginning of cholic which can start about now. At least our nighttime sleep routine has not been interrupted. Poor Grammie took them one night while she was here and they never slept for more than 20 minutes at a time.

2 more days left in the "2 Week Storm".... keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: