Thursday, January 14, 2010

30 week update

I had my 30 week checkup with the perinatologist today and everyone is doing great! I have been so blessed with an easy pregnancy thus far. Both babies are head down and have been since 12 weeks, so the doctor is fairly sure they will stay that way. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but the doctors are thrilled and would like me to try to deliver them as they are in the perfect position. It is rare that they are lined up so perfectly, so I guess maybe that is God's way of saying I should try?!?! I don't know. I am confused on what the right decision is for delivery. I will talk to my doctor about all the details and get my questions answered next week. Although it is great news they are both head down, they are also very low which means both heads are right there next to my cervix. My perinatologist said very simply, " If you want to make it to 36 weeks, which is full term for you, you need to sit. If you don't, you won't make it." I am allowed to work, walk, do the stairs at the house, etc, but have to be careful with standing for long periods of time so gravity doesn't cause my cervix to start dilating. Right now my cervix is great and has no sign of thinning or shortening, so she told me to unpack and do anything I want to do in the next week and start sitting at 32 weeks. I am thankful for my next week of freedom and promised to follow her directions.

Both babies are measuring above average for 30. 5 weeks. Dellan has a large head and is measuring at about 33 weeks and weighs 3 pounds 11 ounces. The doctor is not concerned because Tony is 6'8'', so it makes sense we have bigger babies. Delaney is currently 3 pounds 8 ounces and measuring at 32 weeks. I am glad the babies are weighing in at strong weights just incase they come early. Combined with 3 pounds each of water and placenta, my body is carrying almost 13 pounds of baby and "stuff" right now. The doctor explained that my body does not know it is carrying multiples, so once I hit a certain amount of weight it will want to kick into labor. Although there are no signs of this yet, the babies being low concerns them that I won't make it to 36 weeks, so I will start staying put in a week or so. I plan on working through the end of January because I am able to sit most of the day at work.

Of course Laney decided to cooperate today for the first time during an ultrasound. Unfortunately they are too big for 3D to really work, so you can't see much. I had never seen anythng but the back of her head so it made me fee better to see that at least she has a nose, eyes and mouth. I think that looks like a Hensley nose too! The 3D look weird because they are squished up against everything.

The first picture is both their heads right next to each other, the next is the only picture we could get of Dellan today, and the rest are 2D and 3D of Laney. None are too clear, but you can tell they're getting chubby cheeks!


No comments: